Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Happy New Year

          I want to wish all my family and friends a Happy New Year.  We are finally down to less than a week before school starts again.  This is has been a long month off.  We have been walking every day to get a few groceries or see something new.  For New Year's Eve we  went to the baby orphanage but they stopped us just inside the gate and said it wasn't a good time.  I pray they had prospective parents inside.  We saw a child running around with the 3 year old who attends our school.  He is either new or belongs to someone there.  We next headed towards Her Excellency's home to swim in her pool.  I called to let someone know we would be at the gate soon.  We were told the pool was dirty and to come another time. 
          We were already a long way from home by this time and the sun was hot as always so we had to change our plans.  Since we both had our suits and towels we just changed directions and headed first for a cold drink and then for the hotel which allows people to pay for the use of their pool.  Clint swam for 30 minutes for 1,000 Naira ($7) and I went into the gift shop.  I was able to pick-up a Carnival t-shirt.  I had seen people wearing them but I didn't know where to get them.  I did not bring one t-shirt with me to Africa so it will be nice to wear on the weekends.
Channel View Hotel Pool

My Festival T-Shirt
          We spent the rest of the afternoon outside on our porch in our swimsuits trying to catch some of the   occasional breeze going by.  Both generators are broken down in our compound.  Unless the NAPA power comes on we do not have air conditioning.  It does come on about once a day for awhile but never the same time so we never know when.  It recharges the inverter battery back-up which keeps the lights on and the refrigerator running.  Without the generator power when NAPA is not on those inverters have been running low and going completely off. The generators are currently broken for the third day in a row.
          Last night we defrosted the refrigerator while it was off and got it cleaned out.  This morning we opened up all the curtains for some natural light.  We are trying to make due but the heat soars inside to nearly 90 degrees Fahrenheit and with it the humidity goes up too.  It has reached 75% humidity.  I think this is the hardest thing for us to get used to.  Our bodies are trying to manage but it just drains us of energy.  I think living in the Arctic for two years with 40 below temps may have something to do with my ability to manage this heat right now.  It is taking longer than normal to adjust. We were told the generators cannot be fixed until the school accountant returns from vacation.  I cannot bring myself to open the windows because of the creepy critters.  I think it would send me over the top of my tolerance. 
          We played cards outside last night until the malaria mosquitoes came out after dusk and then headed back inside.  While we were out there we did watch a gecko eat a cockroach.  We both cheered since the geckos manage to get inside despite all I have done to ensure tightly closed windows.  I have them all blocked with stuff.  Now if I could only train them to eat spiders.

This is what we did for New Year's Eve.
My tan lines
          I forgot to put sunscreen on my feet and now I use it as my gauge to see just how tan I am.  This picture actually doesn't show just how dark of a tan I have.  I think this is the most tan I have ever been.  I use 100% sunblock on my face and 30% on my arms and shoulders.  My feet I have left alone.  It is a source of amusement for me.  Can you tell I wear Birkenstocks?  LOL, they are the best shoes in a hot and humid climate. 

1 comment: