Sunday, May 5, 2013

Baby Naming Ceremony



          Last weekend one of my students welcomed a new baby sister.   His parents invited me to attend their baby naming ceremony.  This tradition happens one week after the child is born.  Their family and friends gather for the ceremony led by their church pastor and elders at the family home.  We sat outside under a rented tent and then came inside for the meal afterwards.  The Christian families in this area pray to God to give them the name for their baby.  It is always a name they believe will give favor to their child.  In fact, I know of two children who were named Favor.  The little boy in my class is Godswill and his new little sister is Miracle.  I also have a King David in my class and one of his brothers is Prince.  The lady who made the African dress for my daughter is named Glory.  As part of the service people donated money to the family to start a bank account for the newborn but the pastor reminded them they had to tithe with a portion of it.  The pastor talked about how not all moms and babies survive childbirth and so they should feel very lucky that everything went well.  It was a bit morbid but I have seen some of the healthcare facilities here so I understand.  I am sure many people simply cannot afford any healthcare.  This family is privileged.


He has lighter skin and eyes than my other students.  He looks like his mom.  His new sister was very light but sometimes a black baby can take up to six months to get their full pigmentation. 

His other sister is on the right being held by another teacher from our school.
         The parents were so honored that I came.  They had me sit in the front row next to Godswill.  He is so proud of his little sister.  After the dinner of pepper soup and rice, I got up to help clear plates and they quickly asked me to sit down.  I felt so silly being waited on.  It is definitely a different culture here.  There are those who serve and those who are served and you do not cross that line.

No comments:

Post a Comment