Friday, December 7, 2012

2nd Trip to the Orphanage



On Monday, December 3 our school director arranged for us to go visit the Infant Jesus Orphanage.  After all the other expat teachers were dropped off at the compound we headed out with our driver.  We had no warning so we needed to stop at the market to get a storybook.  I would only need a minute because I knew where the booth was that had books for sale.  I asked our driver to not park inside the roped off area so we did not have to pay the 100 Naira to park.  Clint ran in with me to find the book.  We found a large book of Disney stories so the kids at the orphanage would have more than one to enjoy.  
When we came back out and got into the van a parking guard ran out and demanded payment for parking.  Our driver said he did not help us park so we did not owe him anything. He said he would just keep the money for himself and not give us a receipt.  The driver backed out even though the man was yelling and banging on his door.  When he started to pull away the man opened his door and pulled our driver out and started hitting him.  The van started to roll backwards so Clint jumped out and other people started to surround the van.  I had been sitting behind the driver so I opened my window and leaned out. 
I started yelling at the man to let go of my driver.  I had been told if we show our strength and not our fear people will back off if we are being harassed.  I started hitting the man that was hitting our driver and trying to pull him off of my driver.  Clint says he jumped back into the van to hold onto me but I don’t even remember that.  I had my whole upper body to my waist outside of the window.  I continued to scream at the top of my lungs for everyone to back off.  I told them I did not know we had to pay to park outside of the market.  Finally enough men gathered and pulled the parking Nazi off my driver. 
I told the crowd if the man would apologize for hitting my driver I would pay the fee.  I couldn’t understand what he was yelling because he was speaking in his Native language.  A woman with her hand on my arm told me he did just apologize so I gave him the money.  The crowd moved out of the way and we drove off.  I told our driver I was so sorry.  It was my fault for being stingy.  He said we should not have paid because we did not receive any parking help and were not inside the market.  He said he would go back and settle it with the guy later.  I pleaded with him to let it go.  We were all really shook up.  It was like the Devil was trying to keep us from going to the orphanage.  I was so angry at the parking guard for hurting our driver.  Nobody should ever be beaten for such a minor thing.
Later that night after we returned home I went to tell our director what happened.  She said we should have called her and she would have come and had the parking guard arrested.  I was still pretty shook up about it all so I also talked to my friend the first grade teacher.  Clint had told me I should have stayed out of it because the driver was probably embarrassed I was trying to help him.  Men want to fight their own battles.  I knew it was my fault though and I just couldn’t sit still and let it happen.  I was willing to get hurt to protect my driver.  My friend said my driver probably actually received an unspoken message from me that I consider him my equal because I was willing to protect him.  He will likely respect me even more and do anything now to protect me.  I had not even thought of that.  I have always thanked him and brought him treats to show him how much I appreciate him.  Some of the expat teachers are so rude to our drivers.  He and I have not spoken about it again so I do not know if he went back.
The good part of the evening was arriving safely at the orphanage.  We brought with us the money our student body had donated for the orphanage.  When we came the first time, I noticed our director had not given them the money only the food which was donated.  I asked for the money when we knew we were going again so I could deliver it.  I wanted to make sure it got to the right place.  I knew about the money because one of my students had donated some money.  Clint decided after seeing the orphanage the first time he wanted to give them our tithe money each month for the remainder of the school year so we had that also to give to them.  I didn’t want our driver to see but he stayed next to us.  So he saw us give the money to the Nuns and explain about where and why we were giving it to them.
Next, the nuns called all the kids into the playroom.  I told them we had come to visit with them again and read a story to them.  They did have an old world map on the wall so I showed them where Barrow, Alaska was and told them about the snow and ice and how cold it is up there.  I read Disney’s “Brother Bear” to them.  This story is about grizzly bears in Alaska.  The students were very quiet and I could tell they appreciated hearing the story.  Clint and I taught them a couple songs, Frosty the Snowman and Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer.  I left copies of the song sheets for them.  They included all the famous Christian and secular Christmas carols.  I also reminded them that Jesus is the reason for the season so we sang Away in a Manger with them too. 
The man in the bright orange shirt on the end is our driver.  He is in his mid 20's.

It was so much fun getting to see the kids again.  Most of them were not as shy this time and reached out to hold our hand or give us a hug.  The Nuns were visibly moved by our gift of time and money to help them for Christmas.  I told them I have two teachers who want to come with us after the winter break.  One of them is interested in doing an art project with them.  A very sweet lady from our church family in Washington is going to financially help each month starting in January and she is going to send some school supplies for the orphanage.  It is so exciting.  I absolutely love to spend time with those kids.  I want them to know people care about them.  When we got back into the van to leave our driver turned around to talk to us.  He said he wanted to be just like us.  I think this was the biggest compliment I have ever received.  I am not sure what part of what happened that night was what he was talking about but it still really meant a lot to me.  I know God led me here and when I follow his lead good things happen.  I give Him the glory for those smiling little faces that evening and the sentiment from our driver.

No comments:

Post a Comment