Sunday, December 23, 2012

The Pool and a VIP Guest



Trip to the Pool
          Her Excellency told me we could use her pool anytime.  We just needed to text her first so she could let the guards know we were coming. On the last day of school before the break, I told her twins in my class, I was coming over to swim soon.  The girls told their mom, I was coming over for a sleepover.  Kindergartners are so funny.  I hope the girls were not disappointed when she told them we were just going to play in the pool.  She gave us the phone number of someone else to call while they were out of town. 
Clint enjoying our State Governor's private pool.
We finally got over there this past week.  I wanted to check out the pool before we went with everyone home.  Clint went in and said it was very warm but refreshing.  There were two kinds of coconut trees along the edge of the pool.  Some of them had bright orange coconuts.  I did some research to learn more about coconut trees.

The Orange Dwarf coconut tree grows to about 10-15 metres in height as opposed to conventional Coconut trees which shoot anywhere from 20 to 50 metres in height depending on the soil, climate and type of nutrition provided to the tree. http://konkanifoodie.blogspot.com/2010/11/orange-dwarf-coconut-gendale.html

          I dress pretty conservatively here but that day I had worn a sun dress which ends above my knees.  Several people made comments to Clint but I was several steps behind him so I didn't hear them and he wouldn't elaborate.  I felt really uncomfortable.  I will not wear that dress in public again.  I remember Cyndi saying in Uganda women always kept their legs covered.  I have seen some women with short dresses here so I don’t know what the problem was except maybe they were blinded by my white legs.  I know one of our teachers was asked not to wear a mini skirt to school anymore so there must be something about the virtues of modesty.

VIP Guest at the School

          We were asked to come to school on Monday to help greet a lady from the US who wanted to tour our school.  She was going to visit all of Her Excellency’s projects.  When she arrived we learned she was The United States Consul Diplomacy officer, Rhonda J. Watson from a US Embassy in Nigeria.  She didn’t say she was actually a US citizen but she asked what State we were from and where the other teachers were from at our school.  She seemed very pleased about our facilities.  She was responsible for bringing the celebrities, Venus and Serena Williams to Nigeria a year ago.
Rhonda J. Watson is in the middle of the Camp Rock kids.
          Our campus was being used to house the Miss Carnival Calabar Princesses.  We were able to see them up close as we walked past them.  All I really remember is they were all tall and still wore very high heels.  Also, our campus was being used for Camp Rock, which is part of Her Excellency’s project called A State Fit For A Child (ASFAC).  It is a 10 day leadership camp.  Students were chosen from each region of our Cross River State to attend.  There were three age groups.  We listened to a presentation from each group and then had a time for pictures afterwards.
          After our VIP guest left we were taken to the Post Office in the downtown area of Calabar to mail our second box of gifts to the States.  This is the area we were asked not to go to on our own in so our school Business Manager took us.  I was able to snap a picture of the Watt Market but it didn't capture it very well.  We were told this market had the cheapest prices but it is full of pick-picketers and is very, very crowded.  As we drove by, I noticed the paths through it looked very narrow.  The Marian Market where we shop is much better.  We also drove past the Red Cross office.  It was really interesting getting to see some of the downtown area.
We decided to listen to the advice of others and let the lizards take residence in our flat.  I think they better learn to eat spiders in addition to the insects or they may meet the end of Clint's broom again.  They are just too creepy.

An enormous national flag has gone up over the Millennium Park.  You can just make out the large imitation Christmas tree in front of the satellite signal tower.

                                    On one of our long walks we came across this Santa House so I posed for a picture.                              For a Northern fellow Santa sure is tan.

No comments:

Post a Comment