Saturday, March 16, 2013

Tony

          We met a young man last fall named Tony.  He lives at an orphanage in the community where we are teachers.  Our school arranged to bring some students to come and sing to and interact with the kids at the orphanage.  We also brought food and cash to help the orphanage.  Tony caught my eye right away.  He was on the ground in the middle of all the children and adults.  When the kids all started to play a game, I helped him move to the side.  I felt so bad.  When another lady and I put our arms under his arms to lift him up his pants fell down to his knees.
Our first visit to the orphanage
          I sat down next to him to get to know him and that is when I learned his name.  He didn't say very much.  I guessed based on his size he was about 8 yrs old and I also made the assumption he had polio.  We see grown men everyday in the middle of the busy intersections pan-handling who appear to suffer from  polio.  They sit on a square board on wheels.  They fold up their legs underneath their body and put their hands into flip-flops to move themselves around on the hot pavement.
Tony
          About a month or so ago I had a dream we adopted Tony and brought him back to the States with us.  I usually have nightmares with the anti-malaria medication I take everyday but this dream was very vivid and very peaceful.  It really took me by surprise.  I had not even considered the idea.  Since then I have read two stories in the Guidepost magazine about adopting children of African descent. Both were really powerful examples of how rewarding it was for both the family and the child.
          My fear though was could we even adopt a child with polio and would the US even allow us to bring him back with us?  Would our community and family be outraged since polio is contagious?  Many adults have not received their adult immunization from polio because it is not an active problem in the States.  Would we grow so attached to him that when the polio advanced to the point that it took his life would it destroy us in the process?  We just had so many questions.  My heart has been so drawn to this young man and I truly believe God has led us to him.  I just had to start asking my questions out loud.
          Today was our fourth time at the orphanage.  We were bringing gifts for the children and money to support the orphanage.  I gathered my courage and asked the Nun if we could talk to her.  I sat down and told her I wanted to know about polio.  She looked puzzled so I explained my heart was drawn to Tony.  She told us that Tony was left at the gate of the orphanage when he was just a newborn and that was 12 years ago.  The doctor said his mother had tried to abort him and in the process he was left crippled but alive.  The nuns had taken him to see an orthopedic doctor but there was nothing they could do.  He has not been to a regular school because they are not set-up for a wheelchair bound student.  They are looking for a school in the capital city of Nigeria for him.  She said he was smart.
          I could hardly get the words out because I became so choked up.  I am a strong supporter of pro-life.  I asked the Nun if anyone from the US had ever adopted any of their children.  She said no.  I told her he was really on my heart and that I was going to start looking into it and talk to our school.  I don't know where this will lead.  I feel like we can hardly afford to provide for our ourselves or our own adult children's needs but if we can save Tony from a life of pan-handling it would be enough.  Our home both in Oregon and here have steps.  I don't know how this could all happen but I do know that if God did put this on my heart for a reason than it will come together.  It is really kind of funny how I am usually the realist and my husband is the dreamer but in this situation my husband says I am the emotional dreamer.
          Will you pray with us for Tony?  We want to make a positive difference in his life.  I don't know how or when or what this even means but if we can do anything for him we want to try.  Thanks for your support.

No comments:

Post a Comment