Saturday, February 16, 2013

God's Lessons

          Accepting this teaching job in Africa, not just Africa but Nigeria, Africa, took an act of faith and obedience to God.  I know in my heart God did not give me the opportunity to obtain my teaching certificate to just admire it.  He did not give me a teaching job where I make my home in Oregon because I still had lessons to learn. I am just like most people, I learn best under pressure when everything is not going perfectly.  When things are perfect I tend to sit back and get complacent.  I was and still am so honored to be teaching children in Africa but I have really been learning some stressful lessons. 
Many years ago while attending a church in Eastern Washington my husband and I sought marriage counseling with our pastor.  He had some training in psychology and asked us if we would be interested in finding out what our personality traits were.  It turns out we are quite the opposite but really we were not surprised.  Our pastor said I was a concrete sequential, a kind of type A personality.  I like to be in control of everything.  I am an organized planner and get things done in advance of deadlines, I prefer to do things in a specific order and I rarely consider thinking outside the box.  I lock onto themes and ways of doing things and have a hard time with change.  In some respects these character traits have served me well but in others they have not.
One of my biggest lessons God has been trying to teach me is to let go of my reigns and let him lead my path in all areas of my life.  I really get out of my comfort zone when I don’t have my future plans nailed down.  This could be anything from how I plan to make my next mortgage payment to how I plan to teach the next subject in my class and everything in between.  I am getting better at staying calm and being flexible but sometimes it feels like I accept changes like I need an act of Congress to do it.
This month marks the anniversary of when I learned I was not being retained for a third year in Barrow, AK.  I had received good evaluations and everything was going well in my classroom.  It made no sense to me and the HR director said they were not required to give a reason.  I had really settled in and was totally enjoying my adventurous life in the Arctic.  I had spent a large amount of money mailing my favorite teaching materials and personal comforts to this small village after getting retained for the second year and then suddenly I had nothing figured out for my future.  I cried so hard it hurt.  I was completely broken hearted and disillusioned about teaching.  My fellow coworkers were mystified by the school districts decision but they all assured me I was a good teacher.  God didn’t answer my prayer quickly but instead waited until I was nearly at the brink of despair before he told me I could stay in teaching and where I was headed next. 
At this same time I had been saving money for a large upcoming medical bill.  Someone in my family needs an uncovered surgery next summer.  I had to use most of what I had saved already by the time I left for Africa.  I was angry God had allowed me to lose the best paying job I have ever had.  I made more alone than Clint and I have ever made together in a year.  Why was this job taken away from me at what appeared to be no fault of my own when I so desperately needed the large income?  God knew I was ready to accept any job by the 1st of August.  He knows me so well.  It is a kind of romantic notion to teach in Africa but it also meant I would lose my sense of security.  Clint and I took large pay cuts to come here but God knew it would be okay because we would be able to still put money aside in our savings for the upcoming medical bill.  Living in a Third World country does not usually lend itself to places to spend money.  We are living a pretty simple life here so our income for the most part can be sent home to Oregon.  So what appeared at first as an overwhelming fear of how I could save thousands of dollars ended up not being as big of a problem as I had previously thought.  Little by little we are getting there barring no further big financial burdens.  Of course this is when when God decided to test my faith again.  First the gas fireplace which heats my house in Oregon where my son lives broke down, and then the truck my son drives needed new brakes, then my husband lost a front tooth and then got seriously sick all in the month of January.  But God unexpectedly blessed us with a good tax return to replace some of this and got us back on track for this summer.  I just needed another lesson on trusting in the Lord.
God is also working on my ability to be flexible in my classroom.  At the beginning of the year, I discovered we had no construction paper or really any art supplies at all available to use in my classroom beyond white paper and crayons.  I could not print all the fabulous colored documents I had created over the years to use for my classroom management and teaching aids.  I was lucky to print in black and white and I just learned once the toner cartridge runs out there is not a new one to replace it.  My department in Early Years is the only one left with a working printer right now.  The copy machine broke down this week and I was told there was no plan for fixing it right away.  I could not even make the copies I needed for our curriculum.  Next week is the 100th day of school so some of what I had planned to do had to be scrapped.
I continually have a mouse problem in my classroom now.  The photocopies I had of the songs I sing all year were eaten and the corners of my big books for science and social studies were chewed off as well.  Will our story books be next?  The generator at school broke down and we were able to get a borrowed replacement from the government because of the founder of our school; however, within a few days we were out of fuel and then we were told the battery was broken.  I didn’t think a generator had a battery but I accepted their answer.  The rains have started which means there are a lot of cloudy days now.  While I am enjoying the slightly cooler weather the light coming in from the window of my classroom is diminished.  When the power is out I can barely even see my student’s faces let alone read a story to them. 
These challenges don’t make me want to scream anymore but I do still feel my blood pressure elevate at times.  Overall, I am taking it one day at a time and accepting each change I need to make.  I was happy to give almost all good reports to parents at the parent/teacher conference this past week.  I had at least been successful at getting most of my class beyond the mid-year kindergarten benchmark.  I know the one little sweetheart will get there.  She needs to believe in herself first.  God made me her teacher for a reason.  I know I can help her and that makes all the daily challenges I personally face seem unimportant in comparison.  It will all work out if I let go and let God lead my path.

No comments:

Post a Comment