Saturday, February 16, 2013

Remembering my Uncle Leslie

          This past week, my Dad lost one of his brothers.  Uncle Leslie had just celebrated his 89th birthday.  A few days before his birthday he went to the hospital with pneumonia and a couple days after his birthday he was gone.  This was the first time he had ever been a patient at a hospital.  Not too many people can say that.  He was a strong man all his life from the hard work in the great outdoors.  Uncle Leslie received his degree from Washington State University and went to work for the Forest Service in Oregon. 
          I loved hearing all his stories about trees, fire fighting and living in a lookout at the top of a mountain.  My uncle was a kind and gentle, Christian man who would do anything for his family.  After retiring at an early age he did a lot of volunteer work and sang in several choirs.  Interestingly, he also really resembled my father.  I was told as a child I had mistaken him for my father on more than one occasion at a family gathering.
          Uncle Leslie had one daughter, my cousin Kathy.  Kathy and I are many years younger than the other cousins and most of our siblings.  We were both late arrivals to our families.  My Dad’s siblings made a point to get-together at least once a year for a reunion camping weekend.  We all spent the weekend playing in the water, looking at each other’s pictures and chatting until late in the evening.  I have such fond memories of those trips from the time I was a pre-schooler until after I had my own first child. 
          Uncle Leslie’s wife Phyllis always brought freshly baked pastries to the reunion.  I couldn’t wait until I got a chance to sneak over to their campsite to get a maple bar.  My mother made a good breakfast but oh how I loved Aunt Phyllis’s special homemade breads and treats.  My parents let me ride the bus from Portland, OR to Bend, OR one summer for a week-long visit with my cousin and her family.  I had so much fun learning how to make bread.  Aunt Phyllis made it look so easy.
          As a young adult I lived in Spokane, WA for a number of years.  My Uncle Leslie had moved his family there after he retired.  Since my own father was quite a distance away, Uncle Leslie came to my rescue a few times.  I will always remember his lesson on where to take your car for service.  He also helped me fix a few things in my first home.  I knew I could call him if I ever had a problem.  I wish I would have told him how much I appreciated his kindness.
          My heart is heavy being so far away as my family prepares to gather to celebrate my Uncle’s life.  I want to give my Dad, my Aunt Phyllis and my cousin Kathy a hug as well as several other family members.  I want to hear more about all the great things my Uncle did in his lifetime.  I know he was a great man and I loved him dearly.  It gives me great comfort knowing he was a man of God and he is now with our Heavenly Father.  Uncle Leslie has now reunited with his own Mom and Dad and the many members of our Christian family, including my brother Rick who are already in Heaven.  Until we meet again Uncle Leslie, I love you.  I cannot wait to see the beautiful forest lands I undoubtedly know God has put you in charge of.

No comments:

Post a Comment