Saturday, November 3, 2012

A Country Medical Clinic Tour

Bringing supplies to the hospital.
Mary Slessor was a humanitarian from the UK who spent her life here in Calabar.
My friend the first grade teacher has been corresponding with a previous teacher from our school because she is now teaching in China at that is where she is from.  Anyway, she put her in touch with a man from the UK who is known as a white Nigerian.  He is an engineer who has lived her for many years.  He took her with him on a trip to the country to bring supplies to a medical clinic.  Since this trip, Clint and I have met him and a couple of his friends.  There are a few Caucasians around town but we have found they are usually from the UK.  I suppose since Nigeria was once governed by the UK they still have an interest here.  I believe I learned they gained their official independence in 1960.
The Doctor's Desk
This is where you talk to the doctor.  It is right in the waiting area.  No Privacy!  I am assuming those are patient's medical records sitting on the desk next to his instruments.
The Waiting Area
The benches are the waiting area and the receptionist's desk is the round one.  The shelves have more patient files.  Nothing is locked up.  The wood sure is beautiful.

Hospital beds for patients who need to stay.

The Birthing Room

The Examination Room

The Doctor's Utensils
I don't think they look very clean.  I wonder how often they use a new bottle of water?
They use iodine for sterilization.
         We live just a block from a small hospital which takes my health insurance, Global Benefits Group.  This health insurance was paid for in full by my school.  I will have no out-of-pocket expenses here in Nigeria and will cover 80% everywhere else in the world.  Sadly, Clint was denied coverage by the underwriter.  We are just praying Clint doesn't get sick or injured for the next two years.


No comments:

Post a Comment