Sunday, November 4, 2012

Dedication's at Church

          At 9 am this morning we had a knock on our door.  It was one of our drivers.  He said, "Are you ready to go to the baby dedication?"  I hadn't heard a word about it.  Clint heard about it but did not hear when it was and thought I knew.  We were both eating breakfast in our pajamas.  Here we go again on an unplanned, day long, adventure.  Little by little most everyone came out of their flats and off we went.
          The church wasn't too far away and by the time we arrived the service had already started.  The principal's wife said since it was the first Sunday of the month everyone would be decked out in their very best and people would be there from out of town.  She was right, everyone had on their Nigerian garments.  There was a lot of singing and dancing and praising the Lord.  I was so thankful we sat next to the fan.  It was warm in there.
          After a 3-hour service, the baby dedication began.  The baby boy was the son of the marketing director at our school.  Everyone who was there for the dedication was invited to dance as they proceeded to the front of the sanctuary.  We continued to dance as the pastor held the baby and gave his magnificent blessing.
The parents are wearing matching peach attire and the grandma has a red headress.

          Next, there was a wedding dedication.  The new wife sang to her husband.  It was so beautiful.
Their dedication was also a very moving experience.
          After the service we went to the home of the parents.  There were a lot of people.  We were fed a nice big meal.  His school friends all congregated in the living room with all the children and their family and other friends were outside under a big tent.  He said the food was catered.  There were two kinds of spicy fried rice, chicken or fish, coleslaw, moi moi (steamed bean pudding wrapped in banana leaves) and spring rolls (egg rolls).  Inside we were offered water, soda or juice and outside they were serving beer.  We were given the food already served on a plate.  As customary here, there must have been 2 cups worth of rice on the plate.  I knew I couldn't eat it but I didn't want to offend my coworker so I accepted it.  I was so sorry I had already drank my bottle of water.  The spicy rice made my tongue and throat burn for a long time.  I was very thankful for the napkin because it made my nose run and my eyes water.  I tried my best not to cough.  Others in the room put their unfinished plates on the table.  I wasn't the only one who couldn't finish.  We did however appreciate the invitation to be a part of their special day.
         

No comments:

Post a Comment